October 16, 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Fort Hall Residential Fire Displaces Family of Five
Fort Hall – At approximately 4:30PM on Monday, October 16, 2023, the Fort Hall Fire Department responded to a house fire on Ballard Road on the Fort Hall Reservation. Upon arrival units found heavy smoke coming from a window and side of the home.
A juvenile male was at home at the time and smelled smoke. He discovered smoke coming from a back bedroom and attempted to close the bedroom door. When unsuccessful, he ran to a neighbor’s home for help. According to Fort Hall Fire Chief, Eric King, the fire was caused by an overloaded electrical cord which arched and ignited nearby cloths and electrical devices on fire.
Although the fire was contained to the bedroom and roof above the room, the home was severely damaged from smoke and water. The family of five were displaced due to the damage. There were no injuries to the residents or firefighters, however the family did lose two cats in the fire.