Reminder of Tribal Funeral Safety Recommendations for Families during COVID-19
STAY AT HOME RECOMMENDATIONS: If you feel sick, stay home. Do not go to Funeral, and contact your medical provider. If your children are sick, keep them home. If someone in your household has tested positive for the coronavirus, keep the entire household at home. Do not go to funeral. If you an older person, stay home and practice social distancing from other people. If you are a person with a serious underlying health condition that can put you in an increased risk (with a heart, lung, or an immune-deficient condition, or diabetes), stay home and away from other people.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends social distancing as six (6 feet) away from another person.
Tribal Funeral Safety Recommendations for Families during COVID-19
Traditionally during Burials/Funerals, it is custom to feed those grieving families and those who attend the services.
However, during this COVID-19 Crisis we recommend that the feeding be stopped to reduce the spread of this disease.
Local funeral homes have informed the Tribal Office of Emergency Management that embalming of the body will kill the COVID-19 virus Cremation is another way to kill the COVID-19 virus.
Tribal Funeral home contact numbers
Recommendations for a COVID-19 death that occurs while inside a medical facility:
• Contact funeral home
• Hawker Funeral Home Blackfoot Idaho 1-208-785-1320
• Colonial Funeral Home Pocatello Idaho 1-208-233-1500
• Downard Funeral Home Pocatello Idaho 1-208-233-0686
• Wilks Funeral Home Pocatello Idaho 1-208-243-8961
• Cornelison Funeral Home Pocatello Idaho 1-208-425-1238
• Manning Wheatly Funeral Chapel Pocatello Idaho 1-208-232-7199
• Davis-Rose Mortuary American Falls Idaho 1-208-226-2147
• Falls View Cemetery American Falls Idaho 1-208-226-5417
Recommendations for a COVID-19 death that occurs while at home on the Fort Hall Reservation.
• Contact Fort Hall Police Department 1-208-238-4000
Recommendations for applying for tribal burial assistance.
• Contact Terry Racehorse, Enrollment Department Director at 208-221-5277, you will need a copy of the death certificate.